Monday 26 April 2010

I wish I knew how it would feel to be free

.
For some months now, I've had a song on my mind. For me it sums up the life of Palestinians under Israeli occupation and discrimination, and since I'm going back to Norway in just a few days, I'd like to end my blog with it. So, here it is. If you want to hear Nina Simone sing it, go to YouTube.

And I wish I knew how it would feel to be free
I wish I could break all the chains holdin' me
I wish I could say all the things that I should say
say'em loud, say'em clear for the whole round world to hear.



I wish I could share all the love that's in my heart,
remove all the bars that keep us apart.
I wish you could know what it means to be me.
Then you'd see and agree that every man should be free.



I wish I could give all I'm longin' to give.
I wish I could live like I'm longing to live.



I wish I could do all the things that I can do,
and though I'm way over due I'd be startin' a new



Well I wish I could be like a bird in the sky
How sweet it would be if I found I could fly



Oh I'd soar to the sun and look down at the sea
And I'd sing 'cause I'd know yeah
And I'd sing 'cause I'd know yeah



And I'd sing 'cause I'd know
I'd know how it feels
I'd know how it feels to be free



Yeah yeah I would know how it feels
Yes I'd know I'd know
How it feels
How it feels
To be free




The photos show, chronologically:
1 People waiting at the Gilo checkpoint between Bethlehem and Jerusalem
2 The Hannouneh family, who were thrown out of their home in East Jerusalem in August last year, sitting outside their house
3 One of the unrecognized Bedouin villages in the Negev, Beer Sheva in the horizon
4 Children in Aida refugee camp in Bethlehem
5 Blooming almond trees in Beit Sahour
6 Beit Sahour farmers who have lost land to the Har Homa settlement, and are now struggling to keep their land in Oush Ghrab
7 Children in the southern Hebron hills, who are facing settler violence on their way to school
8 The painting of a flute player on a wall in Deheishe refugee camp in Bethlehem

You can find all the stories on my blog.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment